Let me start by saying that assembling the PDF was made needlessly difficult by the lack of page numbers or markings to match up. Once I had it made up, I cut out the 5T length, and the 4T width. I had a hard time choosing a size, since the only measurement charts are the measurements of the finished garment and my daughters don't have any dresses in a shape like this to compare.
I cut a line straight down from the shoulder seam into the armscye to remove the built-in cap sleeve, shaving off about 1.5 inches total. I also cropped the lining to the same length as the middle colorblock section, front and back
I drafted a collar by matching the shoulder seams of the front and back lining, copying the neckline, and drawing a rounded shape out from that with seam allowances.
I tried a new method of drafting sleeves for this dress, and it looked like it worked pretty well, but since they are puff sleeves, and very forgiving, it's hard to tell if the method would work otherwise. I'll take some photos next time I use it. I do wish I'd made the sleeves a bit shorter.
the hem of this skirt instead, and adding ruffled lace in most of the seams. I'd originally planned to do scalloped piping, but it didn't work with my machine, and I had a lot of pretty lace waiting to be used, a gift from my Grandma. The ruffle is really full! It was gathered as tight as it could go at the top, and since the skirt I cut it from was a half-circle skirt, the hem is even fuller!
Before sewing any part of the dress, I used a freezer-paper applique to create a hand-sewn ladybug on the front middle section. I satin-stitched some spots on it, chain-stitched legs and antennae, did a peking knot for the antennae ends, and a running stitch for a trail. I've only done reverse applique before now, and I thought this turned out really well, until I washed it to remove the markings I'd made. Then the ladybug body bubbled up in a bunch of spots. =(
When it came to the sewing, I had to do things a bit differently to accommodate the sleeves (no hand-stitching there though! I'll do a tutorial if anyone is interested.) but the entire bodice is still beautifully finished:
I did decide to hand-stitch the inside of the sleeve bands, but goodness, aren't they pretty?
I left off the elastic in the back, since in my experience it takes less than a month for the elastic to break and be useless, and used three buttons instead of one. I made thread loops to close the back with, using a buttonhole stitch over two full strands of red embroidery floss rather than the chain I first learned. These ones feel nice and sturdy!
I also used embroidery floss to sew the buttons on:
The denim is upcycled from this maternity skirt, which no longer fits me. The lining is upcycled from part of a dust ruffle, the green gingham was originally a curtain, the red and black were originally sheets, and the lace was from my grandma. =) I even had thread to match!
And now, how this all fits into a Picnic in Oregon. =)
On the Oregon coast, where I was blessed enough to live for several years, there are spots with high bluffs overlooking the ocean (denim), with whitecaps dancing their way toward the shore (lace).
Atop those cliffs, nestled among the grasses, are tiny wild strawberry plants, green with white flowers (buttons and gingham).
And on those strawberry plants, you will often find a dainty ladybug looking for aphids, ready to fly away at a gentle breeze.
This dress would be perfect for a picnic atop those bluffs, looking out over the beautiful, sparkling blue, with the wind gusting up from the edge of the cliff. =)
I really love the way it turned out. =)
I'm probably going to have to do another flip of this pattern, since I have some other fun ideas and will not be using it again otherwise.
I also have a knit shirt for myself in the works (although I'm nervous about the fabric I'm using... I'm afraid it's going to be garishly bright).
And I still haven't shown you the other shirt I made (which is too small, which is why I haven't taken any photos yet) or the winter dress I sewed for Booper a couple months ago!
Besides that I made (glued, not sewed) a phone case for my husband, and am halfway-through another puzzle ball.
|She thinks she is smiling. =)|
I'm linking up at:
Thanks for stopping by!