Thursday, April 10, 2014

Navy Dress With A Twist

 Multiple twists, actually. =)

  This is another flip of the Heidi and Finn Colorblocked Dress Pattern.

  I added seams and twisted pieces to the top colorblock section:

  I also cut off the built-in cap sleeve, and added puffed sleeves instead.

  I cut the middle colorblock shorter so it would end at the waist, and cut the lining to match, then I added a circle skirt underneath, on which I machine embroidered hundreds of eyelets. They aren't true eyelets, as I didn't cut the middles out. I also added eyelets on the sleeves.

 I didn't clip the threads close on the inside because I was afraid that if I did all my hours of work would unravel in the wash... I may go back and fray-check then clip them.

  I did my lining trick (tutorial soon!) to finish the sleeves and hand-sewed the waist seam. Once again, I had to wash to remove marks and I didn't press the lining well enough afterward... it isn't actually puckery!

  I planned for thread-loops on the back, but when it came time to sew them I realized I didn't have any thread that looked right, so there are temporary hook-and-loops to keep it closed until I can buy matching thread.

  I had a really hard time finding buttons that worked too! I pretty much checked all of my buttons and didn't like any of them, but I finally remembered that I had some small cover buttons, and used those with the navy fabric.

  The skirt and sleeves are finished with a rolled serger hem, for contrast, and I piped around the neckline and between the top and middle colorblock sections.

  I used elastic thread to gather in the sleeves... I'm actually surprised at how well that worked.

  The sleeves and grey fabrics are sheet leftovers, and the rest are scraps I had waiting to be used.

  This dress took me a reeeaaaalllly long time! Over 12 hours, possibly closer to 15.

  Gaiw was SO EXCITED to be getting a dress! She kept saying, "You ah makin a dwess for ME, mama!" with giant grins and sparkling eyes. =)

  And I don't have much else to say but I have a LOT of photos, so here goes... enjoy! =)











 I'm linking up at
Flip This Pattern 
and









Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. I love this dress. don't know where to start from though. i love the embroidered eyelets, the elastic sleeves, the twist, the piping in between, the circle skirt and the hem finishing on the skirt. This is a labour of love. Just great too that your daughter loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'd actually painted some fabric to use for the middle colorblock section too, but I didn't end up liking how it looked with the rest of the dress. I'm really happy that she likes it. =)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing flip! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one to link up 2 flips! This dress took so long, but was really worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually made a third, involving knit, but my cover-stitch machine mangled the neckline and I'll need to fix it before I post about it. =) Thank you! I love the way it turned out.

      Delete
  3. I love the pops of color from the twisted pleats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love it too! I spent quite a while trying to decide which fabrics to use, but I still wasn't sure how well it would turn out. =)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes our most time-consuming projects are our most-loved projects in the long run!! So glad you were pleased....with the time invested in it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that it ended up like the idea in my head...It's always exciting when that happens. =)

      Delete