This is another flip of the Heidi and Finn Colorblocked Dress Pattern.
I added seams and twisted pieces to the top colorblock section:
I also cut off the built-in cap sleeve, and added puffed sleeves instead.
I cut the middle colorblock shorter so it would end at the waist, and cut the lining to match, then I added a circle skirt underneath, on which I machine embroidered hundreds of eyelets. They aren't true eyelets, as I didn't cut the middles out. I also added eyelets on the sleeves.
I didn't clip the threads close on the inside because I was afraid that if I did all my hours of work would unravel in the wash... I may go back and fray-check then clip them.
I did my lining trick (tutorial soon!) to finish the sleeves and hand-sewed the waist seam. Once again, I had to wash to remove marks and I didn't press the lining well enough afterward... it isn't actually puckery!
I planned for thread-loops on the back, but when it came time to sew them I realized I didn't have any thread that looked right, so there are temporary hook-and-loops to keep it closed until I can buy matching thread.
I had a really hard time finding buttons that worked too! I pretty much checked all of my buttons and didn't like any of them, but I finally remembered that I had some small cover buttons, and used those with the navy fabric.
The skirt and sleeves are finished with a rolled serger hem, for contrast, and I piped around the neckline and between the top and middle colorblock sections.
I used elastic thread to gather in the sleeves... I'm actually surprised at how well that worked.
The sleeves and grey fabrics are sheet leftovers, and the rest are scraps I had waiting to be used.
This dress took me a reeeaaaalllly long time! Over 12 hours, possibly closer to 15.
Gaiw was SO EXCITED to be getting a dress! She kept saying, "You ah makin a dwess for ME, mama!" with giant grins and sparkling eyes. =)
And I don't have much else to say but I have a LOT of photos, so here goes... enjoy! =)
I'm linking up at
Thanks for stopping by!