I finished up one last maternity shirt! I've had the idea for this shirt in my head for about 5 months, but didn't have a chance to actually sew it up until now.... part of that was hoping for the right fabric, which never came along. I ended up using a knit sheet, dyed brown.
I designed this shirt to be able to transition from not so pregnant to very pregnant, but it would be more functional if I'd made the placket the right length... I lengthened the shirt pattern and forgot to add extra to the placket. Doh! =)
I used a tutorial on sewing a single placket from Shannon at Little Kids Grow, and just flipped it upside down. It was a little difficult to sew on this thin knit, and I wish I had interfaced the shirt where the placket would sit, instead of just the placket, but it looks all right on the outside!
I added a ruffle by just tucking it underneath when I was edgestitching the placket down, but I think it would have worked better to actually sew the ruffle to the placket beforehand... next time I do a ruffled placket (and there will be a next time) I'm going to test that out and see how it works. =)
I would have preferred buttons over snaps, but I haven't been able to get my buttonhole sensor on my machine fixed yet - strange how I rarely used it, but as soon as it stopped working I ended up with multiple projects that need buttonholes.
Once the placket was done I added the bit of floral knit (rescued from a shrunken shirt) underneath and hid the stitching under the ruffle. I also added a ruffled strip in the shape of a heart on the chest, since overall the shirt was looking a little plain.
Also! Quick Kid's Clothes Week update... this is what I've been working on:
Not going to lie, those scallops took at least 40 minutes to plan and about an hour to sew... but I love them! I haven't pressed them yet, or the pockets, and the pockets are not yet sewn on, which is why they are a little crooked. =) I also have to finish the waistband. If all goes well, I should have a finished skirt by tomorrow. =)
Thanks for stopping by,