Monday, July 15, 2013

Itty Bitty Baby Dress For Beckers

  Kid's Clothes Week is this week... and I'm participating. =) For my first project, I sewed up this:

  This is the free Itty Bitty Baby Dress Pattern, from Made By Rae. I sewed up a larger version of this last fall for Booper and Gaiw, but I didn't have a chance to try out the original until now. I did end up changing a couple things... I used a 9 by 36 inch rectangle for the skirt, so it only has one side seam, and I sewed the bodice to the skirt differently so I could finish the inside prettily, like this:

  I only sewed the piping and skirt to the outer layer of the bodice, then pressed a small hem on the inside and hand-stitched it down. That is the one major benefit from all that wedding sewing... I'm not nearly so reluctant to hand-stitch things now, which means I often get a nicer finish. =)

  To say I'm happy with this dress would be an enormous understatement... the photos just don't show how incredibly tiny and adorable this dress is. I can hardly wait to try it on Beckers!

  Once again, I'm amazed by how quick of a sew it was. Even with hand-stitching the bodice lining, it took less than three hours from choosing the fabric to cutting the final thread. There is one more change I would made when sewing it again: I would take the time to properly finish the piping, instead of folding it like the instructions. I ended up with this at the piping beginning, which isn't very pretty and is rather bulky:

  And that's my first KCW project! I also have an almost-finished maternity shirt to show you in the very-near future... I just need to get some snaps in it and an extra decorative bit sewn on.

Thanks for stopping by,

6 comments:

  1. Pretty nice my beautiful grand daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable! I used to hate hand sewing with a passion, but after I had stitched all those hexies together I now don't mind it so much--especially since it can give a nicer finish. It's also a way to slow down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to hate it too, even though I knew it worked better for so many things. It is nice to take a break from the machine and do some hand-sewing every now and then. =)

      Delete
  3. I love this dress.
    Totally my cup of thee ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it too, I'm really looking forward to seeing it on my baby. =)

      Delete