A couple of months ago I realized that Foof could really use something to shade her face when we are outside, so I decided to make a bonnet for her.
Having made and loved the Peekaboo bonnet pattern before, I decided to use that, with a couple of small changes.
I chose to not make the bonnet reversible this time, and used plain white quilting cotton for the inside. I'd planned to stitch-in-the-ditch to finish the inside, but when the time came I just couldn't bring myself to do it and hand-stitched instead. It was much quicker with the piping only on the outside!
Since I used a lightweight eyelet for the outer and didn't underline it, I applied interfacing to the lining of the brim.
The main change, however, is the ties... I cut a strip of eyelet that was 36" by 2.5", marked where the bonnet would sit in it, and sewed the rest right sides together with a quarter-inch seam, making an angle at the ends. Next, I sewed the bonnet right sides together with the tie, leaving one long side unattached. Finally, I flipped the ties right side out, tucked in the seam allowance, and hand-stitched the final edge down to the bonnet.
I like these wider and softer ties much better than the binding ties on my last version.
I used plain white cotton to make the piping. I think I'd like it better with a finer piping cord for this size, but this is cute too.
The lining is Kona cotton in Snow, and the outer is white eyelet that I bought at Jo-Ann years ago thinking I'd make myself a top. Clearly, that hasn't happened! ;-)
I think this bonnet is just adorable, and I'm happy that Foofy doesn't mind wearing it, although it does seem to make her a bit sleepy sometimes!
I just wish I'd made one of these years ago! ;-)
Thanks for stopping by,