I didn't get to make a whole lot of gifts for Christmas last year, but I did get to make one!
My in-laws do a drawing every year so each family member only has one gift to give (I usually make two gifts for the person I draw and one for everyone else). This year I drew my youngest brother in law, and had very few ideas as to what I could make him. Then I happened across this popular knight hoodie pattern again, and thought it would be a great gift! However, I quickly decided NOT to use the pattern, since I wanted the details to be a little bit different, and thought that he was above the pattern's size range. (It turns out that there is an adult version too that includes size 12). Instead, I bought the PDF version this Jalie pattern (in spite of the pattern cover, it's unisex and has a fantastic size range, which means it's very versatile... and it also includes sweatpants). I initially looked for sweatshirt fleece at JoAnn, but they were out of grey, so I ordered this one instead.
I added this piece to mimic the gorget, or neck armor. It's a single layer with the edge folded under, top-stitched on the body of the hoodie before adding the hood:
It's also in the back, but slightly shallower:
The pauldrons are darted circles (if I were making this again I would make these a bit bigger, and the darts deeper). I sewed two of these right-sides together, then turned and top-stitched. I machine-sewed them to the hoodie at the top edge and by stitching in the ditch near the top of the dart.
I cut the sleeve a few inches below the elbow and, along with seam allowances, added a pointed, flared piece to look like a vambrace. I also added a turned and top-stitched football-shaped piece, which was sewn down for about 1/2" at each of the corners, to resemble the couter.
The pocket is sewn according to the pattern, except that I'd added a few inches to the hem in place of a ribbed band, so I folded the lower edge of the pocket under as well:
I also omitted the ribbing on the sleeves, and just lengthened and hemmed them instead.
On the hood, I added a comb, which was sewn in the existing seam, and a turned-and-top-stitched piece to resemble the upper visor, which was sewn down at the corners and along a small portion of the upper edge. I'd probably curve the center front seam a little less next time.
And finally, the most labor-intensive portion of the whole thing, and the part where I accidentally steamed my fingers several times- the lower visor. I reverse-appliqued the black pieces in using this method, then added an un-appliqued piece, turned it right side out, and top-stitched.
I wanted my brother-in-law to be able to wear raise and lower the visor, so I added buttonholes at its ends, then sewed buttons on the hood.
I'm happy to say that this was well-received, and fit! Although it was a little bit difficult for him to get on and off due to the low stretch in the fabric. Going up one size would have helped.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!
Thanks for stopping by,