Wednesday, October 19, 2016

4 Skirts

  I keep forgetting to write about these! For Skirting the Issue this year, I made 4 skirts- 3 simple knit ones and a slightly more detailed denim one.

  The knit ones are basic circle skirts. I made two matching ones with this knit from Nick of Time Textiles, with a simple yoga waistband and a lettuce-edged hem. Please excuse the wrinkles... they sat folded for a few days before photographing, and I didn't have time to press them again.

  This gingham knit (also used here) has very little stretch, so I made the waistband larger than the intended waist size (these are all a standard girl's size 10, and just below knee length) and put elastic in it.

  And the other skirt I made was from stretch denim. It's a 4-paneled skirt with an elastic back and flat front, belt loops, and top-stitching, along with a tatted heart and some couching.

  I tatted the heart with some variegated crochet thread using the free pattern at the very bottom of this page. I hand-stitched it to the skirt with regular sewing thread. I didn't have thread in all of the colors, so I just used one that matched the lightest blue. The tatting was too tight to comfortably stick a needle through, so up close the stitching is a little more noticeable than I'd like:

  But it isn't bad from a distance:

  I also couched some of the same thread around the hem in a wavy pattern. I zig-zagged over it by machine, but I couldn't figure out a good way to keep enough tension on the crochet thread without pulling it away from the curves. Maybe gluing it first would have fixed that... or a couching foot.

  I wish I'd picked it out and re-done it! But overall I think the skirt was still pretty cute.

  And that was all I made this year... maybe next year I'll manage 5 skirts. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by,

6 comments:

  1. I love your tatting! Even in the close up, the sewing thread is quite hard to see. I had to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a lot of fun to do. Maybe it just sticks out more to me because I know it's there!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I will ever not love circle skirts. They're just so perfectly twirly. Your tatting is so pretty, too!!! You can barely see the stitches--I had to really look for them (which I was only doing because you said they were obvious, not because it's something I normally do, hahaha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And I've never met a little girl who disliked twirly skirts, so I thought they would be a good choice. =)
      Thank you! I'm probably just nit-picking it. ;-)

      Delete
  3. These are really cute and I don't really see the threads on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it funny how some little things about what we make can bother us so much, and sometimes nobody else even notices it?

      Delete