Friday, November 22, 2013

A Pair Of Pink Plaid Penny Purses

  There I go with the alliteration again... I'm going to have to make a red and off-white coin purse just so I can call it a 'Cream and Crimson Coin Carrier'. =)

  Anyway, these are my most recent endeavors into the purse making world:

  The larger one is the same pattern as the purple one I made recently, but altered slightly so it fits better into the frame, and with fusible fleece added. I definitely prefer the structure better with the fleece, and it bulks up the top seam so it fills out the frame better.
  The small purse is another pattern I made... basically a circle with a wedge cut out for the ends, and a rectangle with a rounded top for the two sides. It's tiny! And I'm keeping it for my own personal use, because I always end up with way too much loose change in my purse, weighing it down. Having a super-small coin purse will keep me from doing that. =)

    This one is so small that the weight of the frame makes it roll over when it's empty and closed... but once I put a few coins in there it stopped rolling.

  Both purses are made with pink plaid fabric from a fat quarter I bought a long time ago from a quilt shop and used just a tiny bit of. I still have enough fabric left for one more coin purse, I think... I love this fabric.

  They are lined with some lightly patterned cream fabric, trimmed with cream cotton lace from Hobby Lobby (it comes on a roll in the sewing/ribbon section), and decorated with buttons from Joann's. I bought these buttons several months ago in an attempt to bulk up my feeble button collection, and I'm really glad I did. =)

  The frames are from the bagpurseframes Etsy shop. I bought several frames at once, so I had them on hand and didn't have to wait for the long shipping this time.

  The sewing for the larger purse was much easier this time around, and I finished it in only a few hours, in spite of constant interruptions for things like hungry children/husband, messy diapers, and pinched fingers.

  The little one though... it was incredibly difficult to sew, because of its diminutive size. I had to adjust everything every couple stitches to keep from getting sewing in the wrong spots. It was especially difficult to stitch the lining and outer layers together, and to topstitch the opening.

  To give you a better idea of the size, here is a ruler in front of the purses:

  I'm going to have to make one of these for each daughter, as they could not keep from exclaiming over the 'little purses' and trying to 'borrow' them. (Beckers was not involved in this process.) =)

  I've scanned my pattern in for the larger purse and cleaned it up a bit (then re-sized and printed it about 7 times to get it to print right), and should have it up tomorrow with some instructions. =)

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!! You have a pattern coming!!!! I love the shape of that one soooo much!!! EEeeeeeekkk! I'm squealing through my computer :)

    1. You just made my day. =) The pattern is up now... it's rather imperfect but it wouldn't be too difficult to even it out. =)

  2. Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel about these purses. =)