Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chili-Lime Tilapia

 Do you like fish? I don't. That is, I didn't until I found tilapia. It isn't nearly as strong-flavored as a lot of fish, and I actually enjoy it when prepared this way! This crispy-coated, tender fish topped with a rich, flavorful compound butter made me re-think fish. Even if you don't like seafood, give it a shot! It might just change your mind.


You start by mixing all the ingredients for the compound butter... garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, lime juice, salt, and of course butter. If you are using fresh limes you could also toss in some  lime zest. Actually, the whole recipe would be even better with all fresh ingredients, I just don't keep most of them on hand.
Sorry about the picture quality. I will get a nice camera someday!

Next you give your tilapia fillets a quick rinse and pat them dry. Sprinkle them on both sides with salt and pepper, then dip both sides in flour for a very light coating.

 Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high in a heavy skillet - I used non-stick but I'm not sure if it is entirely necessary. Cast iron would probably work just as well, if not better.

 When the oil starts shimmering slightly, or when a drop of water in it sizzles, add the fish.

 Cook for 3-5 five minutes on one side, till the underside is crispy. Flip and crisp the other side. The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork, is opaque, and the coating is dark golden.
Slightly darker than what is pictured here is better.
  When the fish is done, plate it and top each fillet with a heaping teaspoon of the butter.

  I served mine with a spinach salad and oven-roasted potato chips. So delicious! I feel like a gourmet cook whenever I serve this up. =)


Update: I made this for dinner again recently, and snapped two prettier pictures while I was at it.

  Doesn't that look tastier? =)

Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment