Monday, July 9, 2012

It's Broken And I Don't Know How To Fix It

  My sewing machine... is broken. The top thread keeps snagging and breaking, the bobbin thread is throwing loops all over the back of my fabric, and there are a couple random broken plastic pieces floating around the bottom of my machine.

  I don't know what happened, maybe something bent out of place when I was cleaning it yesterday. It worked okay last night, after being cleaned. The top thread broke a few times, but I thought it was just because the thread itself was too weak. This morning though, it decided to throw a fit.  And I had such great plans for it!

  I was working on the revised version of the girlies' bloomers, along with a skirt for each of them. After that I had plans for appliqued shirts to match, a nursing dress for me, and many, many other projects. Now I have to wait.

  I can look inside my machine, and see where the thread is snagging, even pull out the piece that it is getting snagged on, but I can't use the machine without that piece, and can't figure out how to fix it. I also can't find where the plastic pieces are supposed to go, or their purpose.

  So now, I am in the market for a new machine. Any recommendations? (It has to be less than $300). I would like something with basic sewing capabilities and a few pretty stitches....metal interior is better and I'd rather it be useable with generic feet, bobbins, and needles.

  If sewing posts are sparse in the next couple weeks, now you know why.
 
Thanks for stopping by,

2 comments:

  1. A friend was just showing me her Bernina from the early 1970's. She has never had it serviced and it still works perfect. I love my new (old) Elna. They are the original Janome's from Switzerland which have become popular with the quilting crowd. That said, you sure got a lot of use out of that little Brother machine.. and I think it only cost about $100.
    -Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to someone the other day who had a machine from the 60's that still works perfectly too.... I don't think machines are made as solidly as they used to be. I've been hearing a lot about Elna's lately. I'd never seen the name before this week but apparently they are really nice machines.
      I ended up going with a really nice Singer with great reviews on Amazon... now I just have to wait the two weeks until it arrives! =)I'll share some pictures and details once it gets here.
      Considering that my Brother was only $100, lasting 4.5 years is pretty amazing... and I would probably not have learned most of what I know about sewing without it. So thank you again for getting it for me!

      Delete