Several months ago I was doodling and came up with a few knit shirt ideas I wanted to try out. This is the first of them!
I'm considering turning this one into a multi-sized pattern, so I started by drafting a knit tee block in a standard size, then altering it into this design.
I lengthened it a couple of inches at the hem for Booper, who is a bit taller than average for a six-year-old.
I love yokes on little girls! I made flat piping from some mustard ponte I had leftover from other projects (also used here and here) and inserted it between the yoke and main body.
The main body portion is very flared, for a fun swingy silhouette.
The sleeves are gathered, and I used elastic thread an inch above the hem for a ruffled look:
The hems are lettuce-edged, of course. =)
I wanted to keep pattern pieces to a minimum for this, and I think I succeeded in that... there is a yoke piece, a sleeve piece, and a body piece. It's the same in the front and back, so it could be worn either direction. Well, except for the label I sewed into the yoke! I bought mine from The Dutch Label Shop. Isn't that fun? I just wish I'd sewn it on straight....
The fabrics are all from Girl Charlee... the floral is a rayon-blend jersey (no longer available, but this one appears to be a different colorway of the same print), the mustard is a ponte knit bought a couple of years ago, and the white is a basic cotton/spandex blend.
I am really, really happy with how this one turned out! It's even cuter than I expected it to be, and I love the way it hangs and moves!
And somehow I managed to make it, from drafting the knit block to weaving in the serger threads, in only about 6 hours! Quite a contrast to my current project, which I started months ago.
It's also Booper's new favorite shirt! Why? Apparently it's very comfortable!
I want to make a Foof-sized one of these next, but in dress length! Hopefully that ends up as cute as it is in my head!
I've also got a few ideas for variations on the yoke and sleeves... If only I had time to sew them!
My usual sewing time has been reduced to a mere nubbin lately, and I've been too tired to do much in the remainder. I need to figure out a system that works better for us! I suspect that the solution lies in a much earlier bedtime and morning for me, so I can sneak in some sewing before the girls wake up.
That's also why I haven't been posting as often.... I can't write a full post in 15 minutes! And when I spread it out over several days I have a hard time making it cohesive.
But I'm happy I had some time today! =)
Thanks for stopping by,