After making Foof's eyelet bonnet, I had planned to make one for Beckers too. However, a petaled sun hat caught my eye instead! It turned out to be a free pattern, available here, so I decided to try it out.
I changed the ties slightly, widening them and inserting them into one of the lining seams instead of at the edge of the brim, and angling the ends (and not getting my points turned all the way out, clearly!)
I did my best to nest the seams at the crown:
I used white eyelet for the outer fabric,
and white quilting cotton for the interior.
A little interfacing wouldn't have hurt, but it sits surprisingly well without any!
I added a white flower button on top.
I had to sift through most of my button stash to find one that had six petals to match the hat!
I think it came out really cute!
There is no sizing square on the pattern piece, so I had to just hope for the best when printing it, but it fits Beckers pretty well. =)
I'd reduce the seam allowances down to 1/4" before cutting the pattern out next time... it's meant to be sewn with a 5/8" seam allowance and trimmed afterward, but for me it's easier to sew an accurate curve with a smaller allowance... and then there are fewer fabric shreds when my kids knock my wastebasket over! ;-)
I still love bonnets best on little girls, but this is pretty stinking cute too!
I've been sewing a bit less lately, because I've been spending ridiculous amounts of time learning lettering. Meanwhile, this little girl has been a handful and a half. She painted all over one of my pieces when I had to take care of the baby, lost my best paintbrush, and dumped most of a bottle of gold paint on the carpet. Good thing she's so cute! ;-)
I did manage to get the gifts sewn and shipped for all of the June birthdays... a bit late, but I think they arrived before July started at least! ;-) I should probably get started on this month's gifts.... =)
Thanks for stopping by,