Saturday, June 7, 2014

Little Projects

  You may have noticed that I haven't posted in nearly a month. Here's why: I'm trying to potty train my two-year old. She's smart enough that I just can't justify buying her diapers anymore, but stubborn enough that there has been bodily waste in multiple areas of the house 5-6 times per day. And it's just barely improving as time goes on. =( So I've been completely exhausted during the tiny amount of spare time that I have and haven't sewn much. A dress that should have taken me 3 days, maximum, is still only 1/4 of the way done. I have finished a few very small projects though!

  First, my storage buckets, which reside in my kitchen and which the girls like to move around and stand on. Since they are constantly moving, I had to open 4-5 buckets every time I wanted to get something- somehow the least-expected bucket is always the right one. That was a simple solution: I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut some vinyl labels and applied them. The cutting went beautifully... I was sure it would be too deep or too shallow a cut, but it was perfect!

  Applying the labels was pretty easy, though it took more time than I expected, especially weeding out the parts I wasn't using. The hardest letter was the capital 'W', so much so that I had to throw the first label with that letter away and re-cut it. I didn't really need a label for the bucket with the blue lid, but it looks pretty with them all matching. And yes, they are all a little crooked and it bugs me. That's because I put the labels on at night and the kitchen lighting is terrible. I also have some labels cut and weeded to give to my mother-in-love, who has the same kind of buckets. =)

 Next up, and this one is totally pointless but fun: I added washi tape to the closet doors in my sewing room. My washi tape collection has been slowly growing over 2.5 years, most of it from Pick Your Plum, and having it sitting in a bowl on my sewing table inspired me. =)

I mostly use little pieces of it on cards/gifts, so this is my biggest project with it so far.

  Another angle... cute, right? =)
 I basically rolled the tape along the edges of the insets and cut it with small scissors, then smoothed it down. Most of the edges peeled up, so I just stuck a tiny bit of washable glue under them and pushed them back down.
  I wish I'd used a different color on the green/aqua section, so I might swap that out, but I haven't decided yet.

  It also would have worked better to trim the tape with a craft knife instead of small scissors, so the corners would have been straighter, but I doubt most people will notice.

  The final small project I've worked on, which actually took rather a lot of time spread over small sections, was a sunflower crown for Booper, since she is going to be the flower girl in my sister-in-love's sunflower-themed wedding next week. I'll have some photos of that up hopefully soonish.

  I'm working on a coral satin-and-chiffon dress for her... and wow is chiffon a pain to work with! I cut circular flounces for the sleeves and they came out as ovals in spite of piles of pattern weights and using a rotary cutter. Next time I use chiffon I'm going to cut it between layers of tissue paper and see if that helps.

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. The washi-tape project is so fun! Makes the door pop :)

    1. Thank you, Lisa! Sometimes I go into my sewing room just to look at the door. ;-)