Thursday, August 22, 2013

Morning Glory Tinny Flip

Perhaps you've heard of the Flip This Pattern series over at Frances Suzanne. It's a fun, year-long series with guest bloggers who take a specified pattern (this month it's the Tinny pattern) and make it their own. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was working on a pattern flip... I'm joining the sew-along, and I'm barely squeaking in!
  
  Obviously, the arrival of a newborn slowed things down dramatically in the sewing department, but I also got confused and thought the link-up ended next week. And of course there were multitudes of sewing mishaps and failures, not the least of which was a serger that I had to re-thread thrice to get rid of tension problems.

  Anyway! Here's what I changed: I divided the skirt into 8 sections and added a pink triangular insert between each section, along with some yellow piping. I made a mistake here and had to go back and add 8 white panels down the center of each section to make the skirt large enough, but it still has the look that I wanted. The pink panels each have boning in the hem, which didn't curve them out as much as I had hoped, but do help stiffen the hem and add to the 'flower' look.

  I added a handkerchief-style overlay to the skirt, two fluttery green layers bound with a darker green bias, which is top-stitched with pretty pink wavy stitching. I made some of the green bias tape into piping add added that in the petal cuffs-turned-leaves, which are tacked to the sleeves with tiny little pink flowers. The bodice is all of green, like a stem, but the thing that took me the most time on this dress was the collar:

  I embroidered a butterfly on the butterfly-style collar, and learned 12 new stitches in the process... it was a lot of fun, and I really love how the lower half of the butterfly turned out. I learned all of the new stitches from this incredibly helpful and convenient stitch and picture dictionary. I was originally planning to add piping in the collar too, but decided against it at the last minute. I was hoping to add a butterfly on the other side of the collar as well, but I found out that the link-up ended a week earlier than I'd thought right as I finished the first side, and didn't have nearly enough time for all that embroidery.

  So there you have it, my morning-glory inspired Tinny flip. It was awaited with anticipation and delightedly put on the moment it was finished by this one:
 
  What do you think? Do you this is a successful pattern flip?

Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. Charity!! You participated!!! YEA! What a pleasant surprise....new baby and all :). 12 new embroidery stitches has my mind reeling - I must look up this resource. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO happy I managed to get this finished in time... I really didn't think I was going to make it. =) That site has over 100 stitches, most of which I've never seen before... it was really fun trying a few out. =)

      Delete
  2. Definitely, absolutely a 'successful flip'!!!! The dress is so very creative and special with all the unique flower detailing and that butterfly! Oh, my! That last picture is just the cutest ever, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! When I thought of the butterfly collar with the petal sleeve, this idea came to mind, and I couldn't resist making it. =) Booper certainly has no lack of personality. =)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! Booper really loves it, and didn't even want to take it off after she got food on it, even though she normally hates wearing dirty clothing... I'd call that a success. =)

      Delete
  4. The butterfly on the collar is spectacular! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love how the lower half of the butterfly turned out, but I wish I'd planned out the top half just a little bit more.

      Delete
  5. The butterfly on the collar is stunning! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really fun to do. =)

      Delete