Sunday, July 27, 2014

Embroidered Chambray Skirt

  I'd love it if you would take a minute to visit Skirt Fixation and vote for your favorite knit item! Today is the last day to vote! =)

  I mentioned yesterday that I had another item sewn for Kid's Clothes Week.... and here it is!

  I machine-embroidered the hem of this skirt a couple of weeks ago, before my fancy sewing machine broke, but didn't have time to finish it up until this week.

  I used a pattern for this one, the Betty Skirt designed by the Shaffer Sisters... they are in the process of re-doing some of the sizes, so it's not currently available, but once it is there will be quite the range! Doll sized right on up... 27 sizes total, with a gathered, small pleat, large pleat, and placket version for each.

  This one is size 4 with a 6 length, based on the measurements provided, and it fits exactly as is intended. I do prefer longer skirts, since my girls grow up a lot more than out, so next time I will lengthen accordingly.

  Good thing Booper has two little sisters to pass it down to!


  Once again, I'm quite pleased with the interior of the skirt. I deviated from the pattern instructions and did French seams for the side seams, then since I can't top-stitch a yoke down properly to save my life, I hand-stitched that. This is the inside:

  Because of the hand-stitching, I spent quite a while finishing this one up this week.

  It was worth it though, Booper loves it! =)

  Oh, and I think I've figured out what is wrong with my camera.... it's the lens. It's a zoom lens and used to work fine for distance shots, but now it doesn't zoom right and gets fuzzy. I don't know what happened, maybe one of my kids bumped it. As long as I'm not trying to zoom in it works fine though. The reason all of the photos are overly saturated isn't the camera... it's Blogger. It auto-edits photos when I upload them and I refuse to start a google+ account just so I can remove the auto-edit. I'm seriously considering moving this whole blog to Wordpress.... any advice from folk who have?

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. I sincerely would not mind that skirt in my size, lol. I love the folk-y look of the different stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I can't wear elastic waists, but I'm definitely dreaming about an a-line or half-circle skirt with stitching on it like this for me.Thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea using your 'fancy' stitches on the hem! I have several different stitches on my machine too, but never think of using them. I'm definitely going to do this soon. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've seen the idea elsewhere and thought it was really fun. It does take a while, but still less than hand-embroidering a design would take. You are welcome! =)

      Delete
  3. You did a great job! I never know what to use all of those fancy stitches for on my machine- this is perfect!

    My camera had a similar issue and I just got it fixed. It was the lens motor, but luckily it was still under warranty. I hope you get it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The shorts I originally saw them on had rows of decorative stitching covering the entire pattern pieces.... I'd like to try that sometime too! For this one though, I didn't have enough time or enough thread.
      I've never even heard of a lens motor! Unfortunately my camera is really old and I bought it secondhand, but I'll have to see if there is someone around here who can take a look at it! Thanks for the suggestion! =)

      Delete