I wanted to make it a bit more interesting than a basic gathered skirt, and I've been meaning to try paper piecing for a while now, so I sewed up the right-most tulip from this pattern first.
I was initially planning on using a paler background color, but I didn't have anything I loved that was also large enough for a skirt, so I ended up using this brilliant blue, a pink fat quarter that I've had for years, and leftover Kona Spring Green from this dress. It turned out really fun and happy!
After piecing the tulip (which was really fun, by the way! I will definitely be doing more paper piecing in the future) I trimmed it down to 1/4" from the ends of the leaves one the sides and added a strip of the background blue to the top to make it tall enough. I didn't want the back to fray, so I enclosed the main skirt pieces between the tulip piece and a matching strip of blue before turning it all right side out and sewing the back seam with a French seam.
The hem band was sewn right-sides together with the main skirt, after which I folded the ends under, folded it to just past the stitching line, and closed it up with the same stitching that holds the ribbon down. The waistband is just a typical casing with 1-inch elastic threaded through it.
I love how this turned out! Such a fun skirt for any little girl! I'll be back to share the other two skirts I made soon. =)
Thanks for stopping by,